Summer is here and with it comes a great opportunity to make a difference here and now, as well as to set yourself up for successful
1) Connect with NCLN.
This is a great time to:
- Talk to your Campus Coordinator about your hopes for next year, so we can help you set and plan to meet your goals.
- Get NCLN’s help in starting up a new club on campus.
- Have NCLN Skype into your meeting or a Google hangout with your club members.
- Remember: Applications for the NCLN Symposium open at the end of June. Talk to NCLN for template fundraising letters and your travel options!
2) Get involved now.
- Take part in NCLN’s Summer Semester activities.
- Join in community pro-life activities (postcarding, Choice Chain, and events run by your local pro-life society! Use the summer as an opportunity to reach out to these local groups and explore what they have to offer!).
Run a clipboarding event with your friends (it’s easy and – almost – free!) with friends.
- Give an appeal at your church or have a bake-sale with friends to fundraise money for your club this fall (money to help you attend the NCLN Symposium? hint hint. Applications open at the end of June.).
Being involved now will:
- Give you more experience in outreach, giving you more confidence and expertise to bring back to your campus in the fall.
- Help keep pro-life activism as a regular part of your life.The summer shouldn’t change whether or not we’re active as pro-lifers, just where and with whom and how we’re active. Pro-life should be a lifestyle.
3) Connect with your club
Stay in touch over the summer. Start a private FB group for your club members and post updates on the Pro-Life movement, as well as updates about your life, jobs, stories about sharing the pro-life message. Keeping up to date with your club members now will help you work better as a team in the fall!
If you’re in the same geographical area, plan a meeting and social soon for your club members! Debrief from the past year, if you haven’t already, and share hopes and goals for the next year. Plan some ways to be active this summer (see number 2).
Plan a minimum of one meeting/month this summer to help you get the ball rolling for the fall. Even if you don’t live in the same city, you can still connect via Skype or Google Hangouts!
4) Expand your knowledge base.
CCBR’s Pro-Life Classroom has must-read/watch resources, broken down into bite-sized pieces. And consider adding a few books to your summer reading list to help you grow as a leader and as a pro-lifer.
Some of our favourites?
- The Case for Life, by Scott Klussendorf
- The Unaborted Socrates, by Peter Kreeft
See a whole list of favourite books by Canada’s Pro-Life leaders here.
Following these 4 tips will get you on a great head start for September!